The Bachelor thesis is a part of the Bachelor study curriculum in Materials Science. It offers you initial experience in actual scientific work. Under the guidance and support of a supervisor, yet mainly based on your own initiative, you will complete a defined materials science project of your own. The report of results, the “Bachelor Thesis”, should show that you are able to independently process a particular assignment of tasks within a defined time frame according to scientific methods and to present the results in an appropriate manner.
The Bachelor thesis is generally performed at one of the chairs of the Institute for Materials Science or the Institute for Polymer Chemistry. The subject of the thesis is only released upon the achievement of at least 141 credit points. Proof of this must be verified upon issuance of the subject. The subject of the Bachelor’s thesis is issued by the main examiner (this is generally a qualified professor/teacher of the Institute for Materials Science or the Institute for Polymer Chemistry). Possible subject areas are listed on the websites of the respective chairs or you may contact chair academic personnel. The thesis will be evaluated by the main examiner and a second examiner, which is chosen in accordance with the main examiner. Before starting, the thesis must be registered with the examinations office (Registration Form) as well as with the Dean of the examinations board (currently Prof. Bill). The latter form is available in the administrative offices of the respective main examiners.
- The Bachelor thesis covers 2.4 months of full-time work (12 LP) and should / must be distributed across six months in order to attend the parallel occurring lectures.
- The scope of the written thesis should be 30-40 pages in length.
Exceptions concerning the Bachelor Thesis
The Bachelor thesis can be completed at other institutes or the industry if the following requirements are fulfilled:
- As main examiners, Prof. Bill, Prof. Buchmeiser, Prof. Ludwigs, Dr. Zotov, Prof. Schmitz, or Prof. Grabowski must issue the subject of the thesis.
- Those in search of „external“ thesis subjects should be aware that these will only have a chance if they are within the research field of the respective main examiners.
- The student must contact a main examiner early on to discuss the completion of a planned external execution of a Bachelor thesis.
Prof. Dr. G. Schmitz
Dean of Studies Materials Science